Discover content-area theme sets organized for the way you teach!
Reading PowerWorks is a flexible alternative to teaching essential science, social studies, and math content while helping all students develop the reading strategies they need to succeed in school—and in life! Literacy experts have developed the content and selected the best fiction and nonfiction books to illustrate each theme—so you don't have to spend the time searching for thematically related material.
Choose from 34 standards-based Theme Sets to tie to your curriculum.
"Reading PowerWorks allows every child to learn and grow as readers."
—Dr. Brenda Parkes, Internationally recognized literacy expert and educator
A unique approach to reading in the content areas, Reading PowerWorks offers 34 theme units: 13 science, 13 social studies, and 8 math that support the development of phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, and fluency. And each theme unit includes paired nonfiction/fiction Guided Reading titles for different reading stages. Now all readers can share in the learning!
Self-contained tote bags give you all the materials you need to integrate content and reading, place and assess students, and provide a full range of large group, small group, and independent activities.
Take a look inside! Request a Reading PowerWorks Sampler Pack to evaluate in your classroom today.
- 1 Read-Aloud fiction trade book to introduce the standards-based theme concept, build background, and activate prior knowledge.
- 1 Shared Reading Nonfiction Big Book to explore the concept in-depth and introduce basic nonfiction text features.
- 6 Little Book versions of the Big Book for read-alongs and re-reading.
- 3 sets of Leveled Readers—paired fiction and nonfiction texts to expand all students' understanding of the theme, plus Audio to help struggling readers and English Language Learning (ELL) students access information.
- Trade Book Library with carefully selected fiction and nonfiction to further students' understanding of the theme (6 books).
- A Teacher Resource Book per theme, that provides lesson plans, phonics and writing activities, assessment, and home connections. The PowerSkills component gives your below-level readers and ELL students the extra support they need to learn key curriculum concepts and vocabulary.
Take a look inside! Download a FREE Teacher Resource Book sampler.
- A FREE Storage/Display Tote Bag with every Theme Set purchase.
| Take a Closer Look! |
Take an online tour of Reading PowerWorks.
Look inside FREE Teacher Resource Guide samplers
for Social Studies, Science, and Math.
Request a Complimentary Sampler Pack!
Evaluate Student Book and Teacher Resource Book samples.
Researched & Approved:
View the Reading PowerWorks Research Report.
FREE Tote Bag with every Theme Set Purchase!
Each Theme Set comes packaged in a convenient portfolio bag. Bags stand up for classroom display, then fold up for easy transport and storage.