| Prepare Students to Become Active and Successful Readers, Writers, and Thinkers! |
- DEVELOP reading comprehension with research-based and explicit instruction, combined with multiple opportunities to practice and apply comprehension skills, and to evaluate and assess studentsí progress.
- MANAGE time, teach more content, and differentiate instruction with 180 standards-based nonfiction and fiction leveled readers.
- PROGRESS from teacher-led modeling and instruction to student independent learning and achievement through gradual release of responsibility instruction: Explain * Model * Practice * Apply * Assess
For complete purchasing options, click through each grade level below:
| || Explain |
Explicit instruction is found in the Teacher Guides, Big Books, Student Books, and in the Interactive Whiteboard and Assessment activities on the CD.
Direct Explanation: Teacher Guide
- The Teacher Guide for each level includes a step-by-step lesson plan for each Student Book and corresponding Big Book, and reproducible practice worksheets.
- Take a Look Inside! Download a FREE Teacher Guide Sampler.
| || Model |
Big Books model specific strategies and clarify understanding of each skill.
- Fiction and nonfiction pieces are written for each skill.
- Laminated pages allow students and teachers to mark up the text.
| || Guided Practice |
Reproducible worksheets offer multiple opportunities for students to practice and strengthen skills.
Skills Practice Reproducible Worksheets
- Big Book Skills Practice Worksheets provide additional practice.
- Graphic organizers help students synthesize information and organize their understanding of a skill.
| || Apply |
Students independently monitor, assess, and improve their comprehension using print and digital leveled nonfiction and fiction readers.
- 180 fiction and nonfiction Student Books are organized by comprehension skills within each grade level.
- Books include a variety of text types: Narrative, Description, Procedure, Recount, Argument, Informative Reports, Explanation, Literary Recount, Discussion, and Poetry.
- Take a Closer Look! Download the Spotlight on Comprehension Scope and Sequence. (895K pdf)
| 102 Digital Books Available! |
Highly interactive Digital Books expand whole-class instruction and support independent learning.
- Read-Along Audio
- Downloadable PDF Worksheets
- Recording feature for students to record their own reading
- Discussion notes to promote discussion of a skill
- Multiple opportunities to model and practice skills with literal, inferential, and evaluative questions on each page
- Nonfiction texts include video clips and internet links
- Take a Look Inside!
| || Assess |
Assessment is essential to Spotlight on Comprehension and occurs throughout each stage of the program.
Instructional Interactive Whiteboard and Assessment CD
- Diagnostic Assessment Pre- and Post-Tests
- Constructive Writing Response Activities
- Interactive CLOZE Activities
- Assessment and Record-Keeping Templates
Take a Closer Look!
Take a tour of Spotlight on Comprehension.
Download a FREE Teacher Guide sampler.
Test Drive Spotlight on Comprehension Digital Books!
Try the Digital Books sampler!
See for yourself how these highly interactive Digital Books expand whole-class instruction and support independent learning.
Preview the Digital Books User Guide.
Spotlight on Comprehension is aligned to the Common Core State Standards!
Researched & Approved:
View the Spotlight on Comprehension Research Report.
Spotlight on Comprehension and Response to Intervention (RTI) (670K pdf)
8 Comprehension Skills spiral throughout the 6 grade levels:
Compare and Contrast
Fact and Opinion
Cause and Effect
Bias and Prejudice
Download the complete program Scope and Sequence to learn more. (895K pdf)