| Introduce Essential Literacy Skills and Key Content Ideas about America to Students New to the United States |
The Sundance/Newbridge Newcomers Kits are organized into Social Studies and Science themes, enabling teachers to cultivate the curiosity and enthusiasm that newcomers have about their new home, while at the same time, building students' literacy skills.
Choose from 3 Different Kits, Depending on Your Needs:
- SUPPORT newcomer students who have few or no English skills, as they practice their English in a group of peers.
- TEACH newcomer students reading and writing skills, including high-frequency words, key vocabulary, and oral language skills.
- PROVIDE Conversation Zones to build and enrich emotional, social, and cultural experiences of newcomer students.
- ENHANCE newcomer students' understanding of life in the U.S. with accessible lessons that cover the big ideas about America.
BASIC KIT: 7 Themes Each BASIC, EXTENDED, and COMPLETE Kit Includes:
EXTENDED KIT: 14 Themes
- One World, Many Cultures (GRL J)
- Being a Good Citizen (GRL J)
- At the Market (GRL K)
- America's Symbols (GRL L)
- Communities (GRL L)
- Looking at Money (GRL L)
- Can Kids Save the Earth? (GRL N)
COMPLETE KIT: 21 Themes
- Houses Around the World (GRL F)
- Where Does All the Garbage Go? (GRL I)
- Why People Move (GRL I)
- Remembering George Washington (GRL J)
- Symbols of America (GRL J)
- Why Cities Grow (GRL J)
- Homes Across America (GRL K)
- Make Mine Ice Cream (GRL K)
- Signals for Safety (GRL K)
- Work Around the Clock (GRL K)
- At Play in the Community (GRL L)
- Building Roads (GRL L)
- Our Capital (GRL L)
- America Is Voting (GRL N)
- All 21 BASIC and EXTENDED Kit Themes
- Student Books (Available in 6-packs, 12-packs, or 15-packs for each Kit)
- Big Book for each Theme
- Writing Journals for students to write or draw their reflections about what they have learned
- Teacher Guide for Basic or Extended Kit (Complete Kit Includes both Teacher Guides)
- Lesson Plans for each Theme deliver explicit instruction for small group cooperative learning.
- Look inside!
| Take a Look Inside! |
Download a FREE
Teacher Guide Sampler.
View a sample
Easy-to-Follow Newcomers Group Instruction
Provide Welcoming Conversation Zones for Students to Learn from Each Other
Introduce Key Concepts and Vocabulary
Read Aloud and Talk Together
Use Graphic Organizers to Assess
Journal and Hands-On Extension Activities
5 Steps to Organizing a Newcomers Group